Australian websites face outages: What you need to know
1. Several Australian banks and US airlines suffered website crashes on Thursday at 5:10 GMT, following an issue with the web services of company Akamai.
2. Akamai is one of the world's largest companies that provides a content delivery network, a program designed to speed up the loading time of several websites.
3. Earlier in June, a similar problem was faced by big companies like Amazon, UK web site, due to internal problem in CTD of Fastly.
4. Today customers reported problems with banks including ANZ, St George, ME bank, Allianz, and Commonwealth bank. Even banking apps were unavailable.
5. American airlines, South-west Airlines, United Airlines, and Delta airlines also suffered short outages.
6. Australia Post and Virgin Australia were also hit by outages.
7. Akamai admitted the problem and informed a news agency "we are actively working to restore services as soon as possible".
8. At 16:15 local time, Commonwealth bank tweeted that services were starting to return to normal.