Brisbane to host 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games: What you need to know
· Brisbane will host the Games of 35th Olympiad in 2032 after being approved by the International Olympic Committee.
· It will be the third time the country has hosted the Olympics after Melbourne in 1956 and Sydney in 2000.
· "It's a historic day not just for Brisbane and Queensland, but for the entire country," said Prime Minister Scott Morrison.
· The IOC has changed its bidding rules in 2019 to reduce the cost and to make the process easy. Several countries like China, Indonesia, Germany, Doha had expressed interest in hosting but Brisbane was unanimously selected as a single candidate for 2032 by the 15-strong executive board.
· Brisbane bid was praised for its high percentage of existing venues, a good master plan, experience in organizing major events and favourable weather.
· The IOC has now secured hosts for the next three Summer Games with Paris in France staging the 2024 Games and Los Angeles in the United States to host the 2028 Olympics and Paralympics.