Canada Stabbing: Second suspect Myles Sanderson dead after arrest
Suspect in Saskatchewan stabbing which killed multiple people, Myles Sanderson, 32, was taken into custody on a highway in the province of Saskatchewan on Wednesday afternoon after a high-speed chase.
Assistant Commissioner Rhonda Blackmore told a news conference on Wednesday, "This evening our province is breathing a collective sigh of relief.” She said police had received a report earlier in the day of Sanderson stealing a vehicle from outside a property. The householder was not injured during the theft.
Sanderson went into "medical distress" shortly after arrest and was taken to a hospital in Saskatoon, where he was pronounced dead. An unnamed official earlier told local media that Sanderson died of self-inflicted injuries.
The news of Sanderson's capture came soon after an alert was sent to Canadian mobile phone users warning people near the town of Wakaw to "seek immediate shelter/shelter in place" because a man armed with a knife had been seen driving a stolen white Chevrolet Avalanche in the area.
He had been facing charges of first-degree murder, attempted murder and breaking and entering. His brother, Damien Sanderson, was also accused of playing a role in the attacks on Sunday in the remote area. He was found dead on Monday and police are now investigating whether his brother killed him during the manhunt.