First lady of El Salvador arrested: What you need to know
1. A court in El Salvador sentenced former president Tony Saca's wife, Ana Ligia de Saca to 10 years in prison on Friday in a money laundering case and ordered her to pay $17.6 million in damages to the government.
2. Former First lady citizen Ana Ligia De Saca's brother Oscar Edgardo has also received the same punishment.
3. Earlier this year Ligia de Saca was found guilty of illegally acquiring assets. Tony Saca, already serving a 10-year sentence for corruption, was ordered to pay the government $260 million in damages. He also remains barred from holding public office for 10 years.
4. The court said Saka could not disclose the source of the $6.5 million he earned during his presidency, who served as president from 2004 to 2009 and was arrested in October 2016. In Sept.2018 he was found guilty in connection with diversion of more than $300 million from government coffers to benefit his business and third parties.
5. Two other former presidents of El Salvador Francisco Flore and Mauricio Funes have also been accused of corruption.