Haiti President Jovenel Moise killed in attack at home: what you need to know
1. Haitian President Jovenel Moise was assassinated in an attack at his residence, according to the interim prime minister.
2. First lady Martine Moise was also injured and admitted to the hospital.
3. Mr Claude Joseph, the prime minister, said that all measures had been taken to guarantee the continuance of the state. He said that the president's residence in Port-au-Prince was stormed by unidentified armed men at 1:00 local time.
4. Joseph condemned the assassination as a "hateful, inhumane and barbaric act".
5. Moise, who was 53, had been in power since February 2017. He faced accusations of corruption and people were demanding his resignation.
6. Haiti's opposition said that Mr Moise's five-year term should have ended on 7th Feb.2021 but Mr Moise insisted he had one more year to serve as he did not take office until 7 Feb.2017.
7. Haiti was already in a dangerous political situation before the assassination, having grown instability, increasing violence and disappointment under Moise. All these factors have rendered Haiti as one of the poorest nations in the Americas.