People are showing less interest in regional elections in France: What you need to know
1. In France's regional elections, President Emmanuel Macron and far-right leader Marine Le Pen, both have faced low voter turnout. The right-wing party Les Republicains did better gaining 29.3% votes.
2. Macron garnered 10.9% and Le Pen 19.01%, much less than what was expected, according to exit polls.
3. The major point to note here is that 68% of the eligible voters did not vote and among those, 80% of young voters did not participate.
4. However, regional elections are closely being watched for voter preference ahead of next year's presidential elections.
5. The next round of the regional election will be held on 27th June.